White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki sparked a wave of mockery on Twitter for her response to a question about what President Joe Biden has done for small business owners.
The moment: Psaki made the remarks in a video posted to the White House Twitter account on Tuesday, during which she read aloud and answered questions submitted by Americans.
- In response to the question, “What is President Biden doing for my small business?”: “First and foremost, he nominated a woman to lead the Small Business Administration who formerly worked there,” Psaki said.
- “The second thing is he signed an executive order to make it easier for minority-owned small businesses to get access to the funding that they need,” she added.
- “And third is that in the American Rescue Plan, there’s currently about $60 billion to help a range of small businesses get access to additional funds,” Psaki concluded, referring back to Biden’s $1.9 trillion relief proposal.
Psaki then proceeded to handle a “controversial and divisive” question on whether pineapple is an acceptable pizza topping.
Context: Many on the right have claimed Biden and his administration are overly concerned with signaling to progressive orthodoxy.
- Psaki has repeatedly responded to policy questions by highlighting the prominence of women in the president’s administration.
- “Who cares if they do nothing for small businesses… they put a woman in charge. That should be a relief to all those business that are shutting down due to Biden’s incompetence,” Donald Trump Jr. tweeted on Tuesday.